A state fire marshal’s investigation found no one intentionally set off last month’s Mineral Wells High School homecoming bonfire explosion.
Mineral Wells Fire Chief Mike Pool said the state fire marshal’s office, which provided him with the investigation report this week, concluded the explosion was accidental. The explosion, which occurred Sept. 25 during a traditional homecoming celebration, also injured a high school student and Mineral Wells volunteer firefighter when they ignited the fire. Both were treated for first-degree burns and released from Palo Pinto General Hospital that same day. According to the Mineral Wells Index, when the student ignited the fire, vapors from the fuel mixture combusted, causing the explosion.
Both the student and firefighter were knocked down by the explosion. Currently, the fire department has no plans to cancel the event next year, but Pool said he will oversee next year’s event.