Fire destroys home in Wise County

A Wise County home caught fire about 12:45 a.m. Wednesday when the heater on a chicken brooder malfunctioned. Homeowner Mark Kelley and his two dogs escaped without injury, but his mobile home on County Road 1790 was destroyed. The smell of smoke woke him up. Kelley said he raises chickens for organic eggs, and he had 86 new chicks in the brooder. He had it set up in the middle bedroom of the home to protect the chicks from the cold front that blew in this week. Alvord Fire Chief Sam Hahn told the Wise County Messenger when his department arrived, the home was fully involved. The American Red Cross was called to assist Kelley.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s