At Monday night’s meeting of the Weatherford ISD School Board, several safety measures were approved, including a concealed carry program for staff.
Regarding the concealed carry program:
· Staff participation in this program is voluntary
· Individuals will undergo a thorough screening process including a psychological review, fingerprinting, background check, and administrative approval
· There is an extensive training component and annual training requirement
· Individuals selected will remain anonymous
· The Defender Program does not allow any citizen with a License to Carry the right to carry a concealed weapon on Weatherford ISD property
· In addition to the concealed carry feature of the Defender Program, this adoption also provides:
o Classroom safes that will contain a safety vest, pepper spray, and a trauma kit.
o Trauma and intruder training for all staff.
o One Board Certified Behavioral Analyst, two Intervention Counselors, and an Intervention Teacher to support students’ social and emotional needs as a preventive measure.
o A School Safety Coordinator who will be specifically focused on safety plans and processes for the District.
o Training for students including safety drills and a “See Something; Say Something” training on situational awareness.
o The implementation of a district-wide character education program.
Weatherford ISD administration will create a timeline for the implementation of the concealed carry program; however, details of the Defender Program will not be disclosed to ensure the confidentiality of this safety measure.